GETEX- COUNSELLORS� FORUM 2014
On the 10th of April 2014, the Counselor's of JSSIS attended a Counselors' forum conducted by Mrs. Rema Menon from The Counseling Point, Dubai. This event was organized during GETEX 2014, at the same venue as the exhibition. GETEX hosted a day-long seminar program specifically for School Counselors. The program included a series of instructional presentations and discussions by role models in the student counselor fraternity. The objective of the program was to help Counselors as they source, research and advice students.
The discussions and workshops for the day were as follows:
- We started with a welcome speech and introduction by Mrs. Menon, the organizer of the forum.
- A personnel from KHDA addressed the gathering .
- A session with Ms. Beverly Wagner, a Sociologist and professor at Sharjah University for Women. She spoke about Adolescent Issues.
- A session on Battling Bullying by Ms. Fadwa Lkorchy, Psychology Practitioner from Dubai Community Health Centre.
- A session on Cyber Addiction by Ms. Carey Kirk, Counseling Psychologist from Light House Arabia.
- Mr. Dennis Ortiz from Princeton Review, spoke about ' Helping Teenagers Draw A Road Map to College'.
- 'Practical Tips in Career Counseling' was shared by Ms. Sudha Srivalsan, a career counselor at Our Own English High School.
- A panel session was organized on 'Higher Education- Current Trends' and the panelists were representatives of various countries like USA, UK, India, Australia and the Gulf and the discussion was monitored by a personnel from KHDA.
- Ms. Radhika Iyer O'sullivan discussed 'Critical Thinking & Learning Styles.
- The day ended with Vote of Thanks by Mrs. Menon.
It was indeed an enriching experience to meet the counselors from various schools and share ideas. Many ideas and suggestions that were shared in the forum will be inculcated in the program framed by the counselors in JSSIS.